Facebook is the most popular social media site on the Internet, which makes having a page for your business a necessity. This is an ideal way to promote brand awareness and reach millions of potential consumers.
People tend to confuse Facebook groups and pages, so let’s talk for a minute about the difference between Facebook Pages and Groups.
Facebook Groups vs Facebook Pages
A Facebook Group is like a club. Groups provide a way for people to communicate on common interests and can be created for just about any purpose from gaming strategy to an altruistic cause.
A Facebook Page is similar to a profile, but designed for a business, brand, celebrity, or other public entity. Anyone can become a fan of a page simply by clicking the “like” button. Pages are ideal for businesses because they allow for “updates” to be posted directly to fans, increasing visibility. Pages are also indexed by external search engines, allowing for greater accessibility and higher rankings for your business.
It is not enough to create a page for your business and then hope for fans to click the “like” button. Your page needs to stand out and be appealing. Once the “like” button has been clicked your page must stay relevant. Making your page engaging through applications is a sure fire way to generate and keep the interest of “fans”.
The number of applications to make your Facebook Page more engaging grows daily, and some are better than others.
Application for Facebook Pages
Here are some applications that can enhance the appeal of your business page on Facebook:
- Static FBML (Facebook Markup Language) which allows you to customize tabs and content on your page, is one of the best applications for a business page. Customization is what will set your page apart and make it distinctive. Using this application, you can set the default tab for visitors to “land on” instead of the wall, which is the default tab. This is a great way to highlight a particular product, service, event, etc.
- Installing a Twitter application is a good way to allow people to keep up with your tweets via Facebook, and is another way to keep content fresh on your page.
- A Blog RSS Feed Reader is another way to beef-up the stream of your page feed by pulling from your blog. Again, this keeps content fresh and keeps your fans informed.
- Including Fan Appz is a good choice for social media marketing as it has features like polls, sweepstakes, promotions, coupons, and others that utilize viral engagement.
- Publicize events with apps like Eventbrite is a great way to generate awareness. This app also can handle ticket sales for your event.
Other features to consider are the use of creative and distinctive images. It is also increasingly more important to interact with fans. People like it when their comments are recognized. Engaging in the conversations that take place on the wall or in the discussions section of your page is a good way to keep interest.
A few business pages that have appeal utilizing applications are Victoria’s Secret and Mont Blanc, both of which not only have nice images and customized tabs, but they both have visitors land on an interesting tab.
One not so great example is Walmart, which dumps visitors directly onto their wall, and does not have as engaging features or appealing images.